Over the past few days I’ve returned to vacation mode after cancelling my plans to travel to Los Angeles to train at the velodrome and have found a very insightful blog discussing sleep research.
Two entries I found particularly interesting were the studies that discussed:
1) Alcohol consumption prior to bed (recalling my college days of course)
– Slept less than when sober
– Woke up more frequent throughout the night
– Felt more tired in the morning, and sleepier at the end of the next day
– Received most of their sleep during the first half of the night
– Less REM sleep
2) Circadian clock differences between men & women
– Women’s clock as faster than men’s (on average 6 minutes, but accumulates throughout the day)
– Women’s clocks complete in under 24 hours
– Explaining women’s greater preference for morning exercise compared to men
– Women sleep deeper (more time in REM) but over lifespan more susceptible to sleep disorders.
Sometimes the best way to get your next project done….is to sleep on it!